National Professional Qualification in Senior Leadership (NPQSL)
We are pleased to announce that we are partnering with education charity Ambition Institute to deliver the NPQ in Senior Leadership. In 18 months, you will develop the knowledge that underpins excellent school leadership and apply it to become an outstanding senior leader.
With no project work and minimal time out of your school setting, the NPQSL is designed to fit around your busy timetable.
DfE-funded scholarships are available for this NPQ for all those who meet the following criteria:
- Are, or are aspiring to be, a senior leader with cross-school responsibilities
- Work in a state-funded school, or organisation that offers education to 16-19-year-olds in England
From September 2022, eligible organisations now include:
- Independent special schools
- Virtual schools (Local Authority run organisations that support the education of children in care)
- Hospital schools not already included in other categories of eligible organisations
- Young offender institutions
What you’ll learn
This programme develops your leadership skills and knowledge and covers the content listed in the Department for Education’s NPQ Senior Leadership Framework.
You will learn how to:
- Set clear goals and communicate shared values that improve the culture in your classrooms and school
- Establish a safe and positive environment for pupils
- Support colleagues to meet individual needs and make sure all pupils have access to a rich curriculum
- Lead school-wide professional development for staff
- Make and act on evidence-informed decisions
- Work well with parents, carers, other schools and the wider community
- Lead by example, be accountable for decisions and make sure colleagues know their responsibilities.
How you’ll learn
The content is delivered through blended learning. This includes real-time, interactive online sessions, face-to-face conferences and self-guided modules you can fit around your timetable. You will put what you learn into practice in your school and can track your progress and get feedback as you go.
Note: programme content is subject to change.
The assessment window starts at the end of the 18-month programme. During this time, you will be given an eight-day window to sit an ‘open book’ style assessment in which you respond to a short case study.
There are two assessment windows every year, and you can sit the assessment two times, if you need to.
You need to complete the course to qualify for the NPQ accreditation.
We will offer a live clinic in advance of the assessment window to support you.